I hope this post will be helpful to those just starting out or any one who is looking to brush up on hair ins and outs. I've complied links to articles and threads from longhaircareforum.com that have helped me immensely. I will continue to add and update this post when I come across more helpful, informative posts/articles.
My advise to those just starting out: Be patient and do plenty of research! Hair forums like longhaircareforum.com are teeming with information. If you try something, a technique, a product, and it doesn't work as well for you than for someone else, don't get discouraged, no two heads of hair are alike. Regroup and try again. Setbacks, unfortunately, may happen, but hair does grow back and with knowledge, you'll learn what your hair responds positively/negatively to. Take pictures of your starting length and at intervals during your hair journey because seeing the progress you've made is very rewarding and a confidence booster! Even if you haven't reached your goal length yet, you'll be able to see the difference in hair health, thickness, etc. Ignore the doubters, ignore the nay-sayers, ignore the haters! Let your progress be your proof! Oh, and start a blog/youtube channel so I can stalk follow :)
Hair Myths, Truths, & Mistakes
- My Biggest Hurdle: Breakage
- Tips For Retaining Your Length
- Breakage: Breaking It Down by Kim Fancy of Fancy Flair Lady
- Reduces the friction between hair strands and silks hair, reducing breakage.
- Seals in moisture by sealing the cuticle.
- Correct porosity because clear/colored rinses contain proteins that bind to the hair shaft.
- Video by EbonyCPrincess on clear rinses
- Differences Between Hair Rinses Vs. Glazes by EbonyCPrincess of Longing4Length
- Boost the Effectiveness of Deep Conditioning With Heat
- Product Review: Secura O3 Facial & Hair Steamer
- Hydrate Your Hair With the Nourishing Qualities of Steam by Relaxed Hair Health
- Conditioning Your Hair 101: How to & Different Types by Ebony of Longing4Length
- Product Review: Vanilla Silk Cream Moisture Dream Conditioner - my current staple moisturizing deep conditioner
- Product Review: KeraPRO Restorative Treatment - staple deep conditioner
- Product Review: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose
- Product Review: Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
- Product Review: Matrix Biolage Hydratherapie Conditioning Balm
- Product Review: Redken All Soft Heavy Cream
- List of a few chelating shampoos with may help.
- Doing an ACV rinse or using Roux Porosity Control to lower your hair's pH to counteract the high pH of hard water.
- What is hard water? Water that contains high levels of minerals.
Henna (and cassia) Henna or cassia applications are a great, natural way to stretchen and thicken up your hair.
- The Benefits of Cassia Treatments for Relaxed Hair by Audrey Sivasothy
- My Cassia Application
- Mixing Up A Batch of Cassia Obovata
- Long Hair Care Forum: Henna Thread
- Video On Mixing Cassia
- Recipes for colorless conditioning using cassia
- How to use cassia for healthy, shiny hair
- How to use cassia and henna together
- Reader Questions On Henna
Hot Oil Treatments
- How To & Benefits: Hot Oil Treatments
- Video: How I Do My Hot Oil Treatments
- Incorporating Hot Oil Treatments Into My Regimen
- Pre-Poo 101: Why You Must Do This Every Washday
- FAQs about Pre-poo’ing (HOT/Oil Rinse) – Why, When & How! by Ebony of Longing4Length
- Oils & Benefits
- Hair Care In Your Kitchen: Honey
- Product Review: Hairitage Hydration Cocoaloe Hair Hydrator
- Product Review: Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship (HE LTR)
- Product Review: Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Butter Cream
- Product Review: Hairveda Whipped Creme Ends Hydration
- Product Review: Darcy's Botanicals Coconut Lemongrass Transitioning Creme - staple moisturizer
Moisturizing & Sealing
- Is Moisturizing and Sealing Important?
- Sealing Experiment: Why You Should Seal After Moisturizing
- Moisturize & Seal 101: What Is It? by Ebony of Longing4Length
- Video: How I Moisturize & Seal
- L.O.C. Method Remixed: Elevating the Moisture Game by Relaxed Hair Health
Porosity & Sealing Cuticles
- How To Use Roux Porosity Control
- Apple Cider Vinegar Rinses
- Follow Up On New Porosity Control
- Long Hair Care Forum: Porosity, The Forgotten Step
- Long Hair Care Forum: Porosity - The Uses of Baking Soda and Apple Cider Vinegar
- Low Porosity Hair by Tiffanita at Hairly Obsessed
- Be Mindful of Your Protective Styling
- Video: How I Bun My Hair
- Video: How to Pin Hair Into Faux Bob
- Links to posts on protective styling
Protein Our hair is 90% keratin, protein treatments help to stretchen our hair. Relaxed hair especially requires protein treatments from time to time because chemical relaxers break down the protein bonds in our hair.
- How To & Benefits: Protein Treatments
- Product Review: Paul Mitchell Super Strong Treatment
- Protein Overload: What It Is & How To Correct It
- Long Hair Care Forum: "To Clear The Air About Protein"
- Protein and Moisture Balancing in Black Hair Care: When To Say No To Moisture by Audrey Sivasothy
- Protein Overload? Let's Fix It by Hairlicious Inc.
Protein vs Moisture
- The Fine Art of Protein and Moisture Balancing for Black Hair Care by Audrey Sivasothy
- Direct link to article: Protein and Moisture Balancing in Black Hair Care: When to Say No to Moisture
- My Regimen
- My Regimen Explained
- My Wash Day (Video) - From Start to End
- Small Tweaks and Practices That Count
- Building Your Regimen:
- Hair Regimen Building by Audrey Sivasothy
- Your Hair Routine. How To Make It Work For You by Relaxed Hair Health
- Hair Regimen by Keep It Simple Sista
- Relaxed Hair Care Regimen on a College Budget by Audrey Sivasothy
- Starting Your Hair Regime: Part 1/3 by Fiona of LoveYourTresses
- Starting Your Hair Regime: Part 2/3 by Fiona of LoveYourTresses
- Starting Your Hair Regime: Part 3/3 by Fiona of LoveYourTresses
- Is It Beneficial To Stretch Your Relaxer: Tips For Relaxer Stretching
- Caring For Your New Growth
- Moisturizing My New Growth Made Easy
Roller Setting Hair
- First Mesh Roller Set & Results
- Decreasing Breakage When Roller Setting
- Long Hair Care Forum: Rolletsetting 2011 (Challenges, Tips, Techniques, etc.)
- Get a perfect flexirod set in 30 minutes! by EbonyCPrinces of Longing 4 Length
- How To: Style Roller Sets with Pin Curls by Kim Fancy of Fancy Flair Lady
Self-Relaxing / Texlaxing
- Video: How I Self Relax My Hair Using the Half and Half Method
- Video [UPDATE] How I Self Relax My Hair
- How I Self Relax My Hair (Steps)
- Texlaxing: What, How, & Why
- Is It Beneficial to Stretch Your Relaxer: Tips For Relaxer Stretching
- Relaxer Run-Off
- Why neutralizing the relaxer is important
- Getting Ready to Relax? Preparing Your Hair for a Relaxer Chemical Straightening by Audrey Sivasothy
- 8 Common Chemical Relaxer Mistakes Self Relaxers Make by Audrey Sivasothy
- Benefits of the Mid-Relaxer Protein Conditioning Step by Audrey Sivasothy
- Protect your previously relaxed hair by coating it with a conditioner, oil, vaseline, etc. You want to make sure your previously relaxed hair is protected in order to minimize thinning and overprocessing due to relaxer runoff.
- Base your scalp.
- Thoroughly neutralize the relaxer. Using a color activated neutralizing shampoo works best for this.
- Irritate your scalp in the week leading up to your relaxer service.
- Wash your hair within 4 days of your relaxer services. Washing opens the pores of your scalp and may leave you susceptible to burns when you relax.
- Why use a serum? Serum aid in detangling by providing slip, act as a heat protectant when using direct heat, help smooth hair, and can even seal in leave-in conditioners and moisturizers.
- Product Review: Organix Nourishing Coconut Milk Anti-Breakage Serum
- Product Review: Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum
- Product Review: CHI Silk Infusion
- Product Review: Giovanni Frizz Be Gone
- Revisiting Organix Coconut Milk Serum
- Clarifying Shampoos
- Shampoo 101: Clarifying Shampoos
- Using Baking Soda to Clarify Your Hair
- Product Review: Paul Mitchell Shampoo Two (Clarifying Shampoo)
- Moisturizing Shampoos
- How to Select a Moisturizing Shampoo by Audrey Sivasothy
- Product Review: Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Wild Ginger Moisturizing Lather Shampoo
- Product Review: Mizani Supreme Oil Sulfate Free Moisturizing Shampoo
- Protein Shampoos
- Product Review: Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Shampoo
- 8 Ways to stop your Shedding now! by Relaxed Hair Health
- Tea Rinses: How To & Benefits
- Black Tea Rinse, I ♥ you
- Infusing Your Own Garlic Oil
- Combating Seasonal Shedding (Benefits of Garlic)
- My History with Hair Supplements
- Day or Night: Does it matter when we take our vitamins? by Relaxed Hair Health
- Black Tea Rinse, I ♥ you
- Tea Rinses: How To & Benefits
- Partying with Marshallow, Burdock & Green Tea
- Terminal Length and the Role of Genetics in Black Hair Care by Audrey Sivasothy
Thickening Up Hair